Orthodontists across the country are working to raise awareness about the benefits of orthodontic treatment and to celebrate the benefits of a healthy smile during the month of October. Simply hiding Halloween candy will not improve your child’s (or your own!) oral health this month. Smith + Pisklak Orthodontics can explain why having a properly aligned smile is the first step toward a healthy mouth.
What is Orthodontic Treatment?
In a nutshell, orthodontic treatment aims to achieve proper tooth and jaw alignment and positioning. Appliances such as braces, retainers, and aligners can be used to correct various bite issues. While many treatment plans are designed for children with developing jaws, adults can still achieve a healthy bite.
Why is Orthodontic Treatment Important?
For a variety of reasons, orthodontic treatment is an important part of any oral care routine:
- A healthy bite – When the jaw is properly positioned, it performs best. Misaligned jaws can cause a variety of issues, including chewing difficulties, speech impediments, and even more serious issues such as sleep apnea.
- Tooth alignment – Consider our teeth to be puzzle pieces. The surrounding pieces begin to wear and tear when they are not properly positioned. The same is true for our teeth. When your teeth are not properly aligned, they do not fit together harmoniously, and when they do not match, they are subjected to years of extensive wear, leading to an increase in dental health problems down the road. Gum disease caused by plaque buildup, difficulty flossing and cleaning teeth, difficulty chewing, bacterial buildup in the mouth that can lead to chronic bad breath and even heart problems, frequent headaches, and TMJ are just a few of the problems that can occur as a result of improper alignment.
- A smile that is aesthetically pleasing – Whether you like it or not, having a straight smile is becoming more common in today’s society, and those with straight teeth are frequently perceived as being more successful overall. It has been demonstrated that the first impression you make with your smile can mean the difference between getting a job or not.
Another important benefit of National Orthodontic Health Month is that it educates patients and the general public about orthodontic treatment while dispelling myths. The following are common misconceptions, according to the American Association of Orthodontists:
- An orthodontist is someone who fits braces or aligners.
- Orthodontic treatment is expensive.
- Straight teeth do not necessitate dental visits.
- Orthodontic treatment can last for several years.
- Orthodontic treatment is only for cosmetic purposes.
- Orthodontists exclusively use braces.
- Orthodontic treatment is only available to children.
How to Participate in Orthodontic Health Month
October is an excellent time to consult with an orthodontist in Sienna and Sugar Land Texas, with patient education at the forefront! Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- According to the American Association of Orthodontics, children should see an orthodontist by the age of seven. This allows the doctor to determine whether there are any problems. The orthodontist can detect early warning signs and address current issues because of the early start.
- Before seeing an orthodontist, your child does not need to have lost all of their baby teeth. Going before your child’s baby teeth have all fallen out, on the other hand, is advantageous. Because the jaw is still growing, it is possible to detect potential problems earlier and, in some cases, achieve more effective treatment outcomes.
- As an adult, you can see an orthodontist! While there are more tooth aligners available for adults who “can’t” be seen by an orthodontist, this is purely a marketing ploy. Adults will be astounded by the variety of options available when they visit an Orthodontic specialist.
This Halloween doesn’t have to be all about the tricks and treats! To prioritize your family’s oral health, schedule a free consultation with Smith + Pisklak Orthodontics today. You’ll be happy you did!